Winter 1999 – Aircraft noise abatement. . .at last, progress!

President’s Column By T. Sinclair (Tory) Jacobs

Looks like we’re all about to get on the same page in support of a realistic program to reduce our exposure to aircraft noise. We sought American Airlines’ help to formulate noise reduction procedures to supplant MIA’s noise measurement program. We were already all too aware of the problem. . .we are looking for solutions.

American Airlines’ recommended program, which has worked in other communities, includes:

Departure Flight Track Management with take-offs to the east to follow expressways 836 and 112.

Accellerated Climb Profiles so that aircraft will be higher, sooner.

Preferential Runway Use to the west when wind conditions permit.

Elimination of intersection takeoffs.

These are 24-hour procedures, not just night hours. Compliance, initially, is voluntary. AA has already secured commitments for full compliance by carriers responsible for 87% of the MIA flights. AA hasn’t had time to contact the other 13% as yet. We are indebted to AA for taking the leadership position.

The airlines are practicing enlightened self interest. The Accelerated Climb Profiles will use more fuel, thus add to costs. But the carriers recognize the community’s disenchantment with the lack of progress in establishing an effective noise reduction program.

The airline industry wants to avoid the proposed FAR Part 150 Noise Assessment, an expensive study that would take some five years to complete, during which time local authorities, airlines, and the air traffic controllers would loose control to the extent that they could not manage noise elimination or reduction through voluntary, cooperative efforts. Plus, the much-needed fourth runway would be delayed for years, and most probably, permanently eliminated. Also, the FAR Part 150 Study could lead to imposition of huge financial burdens on Miami-Dade County to cover costs of residence acquisition and/or sound-insulating programs for tens of thousands of homes in the noise exposure area.

We now have a promising noise reduction program that can be put into practice this month! Professionals in the field believe that we’ll immediately be aware of significant reductions. And, at the end of the six-month test, indicated changes, if any, can be made.

According to knowledgeable industry executives, FAA approval is not required. . .just the commitment of the Miami-Dade Aviation Department.

We have the full support of the City of Miami Administration and Commission.

Since the Miami City Commission passed a resolution on January 26th in favor of this program, the Brickell Area Association, the Brickell Key Master Association, the Downtown Development Authority and the Executive Committee of the New World Action Committee of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce have joined the Brickell Homeowners Association in full support of the program.

Our job now is to insist that our County Commission and administration get on the same page.

We’re ready to help them find the right page. This is a WIN, WIN program for all!

From BHA News, Winter 1999, Vol. IX, No. 1